28 Sep National Cyber Awareness Month
October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (#NCSAM) and the perfect time to review your network, policies and further educating your staff on what a phishing email looks like and fresh certain ground rules for suspicious emails & website links.
2018 has been a massive year so far in the world of cybersecurity. The month of October is a dedicated month where we highlight some important points to keep your personal and business credentials safe.
Here are a few steps to consider when reviewing your business cybersecurity policy:
1. Identify the cybersecurity risks to the business
- Know where data and technology are stored and who has access to both.
2. Protect your business, employees by training them to guard against cyber threats
- Implement a cybersecurity plan for your business
- Ensure strong passphrases and authentication
- Ensure secure backups are done regularly
- Grant access to employees to drives that they need to perform their job only
- Ensure employees know how to spot a suspicious email or link.
3. Detect key threats, that reduce the business risk
- Email. Look for unusual requests, attachments and links. Be suspicious.
- Use cybersecurity products or services that help monitor your networks
- Be sure to consider physical security as well.
- Teach employees to know what incidents and attacks need to be reported
- Consult your IT provider about exploring the option of improving your protection
4. Respond quickly if your business has been victim of a cyber attack
- Disconnect the affected device from the network and contact your IT provider
- Utilise spares and secure backups to ensure business continuity
- Have a manual policy in place, so business can continue to operate
- Familiarise yourself with your state’s data breach notification law.
5. Recover your business, ensuring it is more Cybersecure for the future
- Make improvements to policies & procedures.
- Establish continuing education opportunities for your employees and yourself.
- Take steps to repair reputation.
- Communicate with external stakeholders and what the message will be.
We are finding that the line between our online and offline lives is indistinguishable. In these tech-fuelled times, our homes, social well-being, economic prosperity and nation’s security are impacted by the internet.
The changing IT environment can be complicated and a mind field of products. For a proven best of breed industry standard and product range for managing these threats, contact our sales team today.
Follow us on LinkedIn: