Malware is one of the biggest risks that businesses face today. An infection can be disastrous, brin...
Collection of Personal Information
Total Computer Technology collects personal Information about customers, prospective customers and Website users which is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more its functions or activities. We Collect your Personal Information in several ways, including but not limited to:
- The registration process on our Website;
- other instances in which you provide Personal Information via our Website;
- over the phone.
The Personal Information that we Collect includes (but is not necessarily limited to): your first name, your last name and your email address.
Total Computer Technology will not Collect Personal Information secretly or in an underhanded way and will not sell your Personal Information to any third party.
How we use your Information and when we way disclose it
Total Computer Technology holds Personal Information which it has Collected to Use and/or Disclose for its Primary Purposes, including but not limited to:
- promoting regular offers to you;
- answering your inquiry;
- sending you additional materials relating to Total Computer Technology and products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- providing you with effective customer service.
- delivering the products and services you purchased or requested (please note that this may include providing your Personal Information to third parties to enable the delivery of products and services which you purchased or requested).
Total Computer Technology also holds Personal Information which it Uses and/or Discloses for purposes other than its Primary Purposes (Secondary Purposes). You provide your consent to us Using and/or Disclosing your Personal Information for the following Secondary Purposes:
- business planning and product development;
- enabling us to better understand your needs and interests;
- improving the content, functionality and usability of our Website;
- improving our marketing and promotional efforts;
- displaying personalised advertising when you visit our Website;
- for any other purpose identified in any other agreement between Total Computer Technology and you;
- issues, news or other information relevant to your dealings with Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective, or about Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective
- generally, or the industries in which you or Total Computer Technology operates; and
- the Secondary Purpose is related to a Primary Purpose; and
- you would have a Reasonable Expectation that we would Use the information for that Secondary Purpose.
From time to time we may Disclose your Personal Information to organisations outside of Total Computer Technology in order to deliver the services you require. Your Personal Information is Disclosed to these organisations only in relation to us providing our services to you. These organisations carry out, amongst other services, our:
- customer inquiries;
- information technology services;
- marketing services (including market research);
- website usage analysis; and
We will take reasonable practicable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your Personal Information.
If you submit your details in interest for an offer, you will be contacted by the merchant on whose behalf the offer is advertised (“the merchant”). We will disclose your name, address and other information necessary to the merchant on whose behalf the deal is advertised (the Merchant). We will use reasonable endeavours to make sure that the Personal Information that we disclose to the Merchant on your behalf is the minimum necessary.
The Website uses social plugins (hereinafter “Plugins”) of the social network Facebook, which is operated by Facebook Inc., 1601 S. California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA (hereinafter “Facebook”). The plugins are marked by a Facebook logo or the words “Social Plug-in by Facebook” or “Facebook Social Plugin”. Find an overview of the Facebook plugins and their appearance on http://developers.facebook.com/plugins.
If you request a page of our website which contains a plugin, your browser will build up a direct connection to the servers of Facebook. Facebook directly transmits the content of the plugin to your browser and from there it is incorporated in the website. By integrating the plugin, Facebook receives the information that your browser has accessed the page of our website, even if you do not have a Facebook account or if you are not logged into Facebook at the time. This information (including your IP address) will be sent directly from your browser to a Facebook server in the U.S. and stored there.
If you are logged into Facebook, Facebook can assign your visit to our website directly to your Facebook account. If you interact with the plugins, for example, by pressing the “Like” button or by leaving a comment, the corresponding information is also transmitted directly to a Facebook server and is stored there. The information is also posted on Facebook and can be seen by your Facebook friends. Facebook may use this information for purposes of advertising, market research and personalised design of Facebook pages.
- that has been Collected from you in circumstances where:
- you have provided consent to do so; or
- it is within your Reasonable Expectations; or
- where it is impracticable to obtain your consent;
- that has been Collected from any third party in circumstances where:
- you have provided consent to do so; or
- it is impracticable to obtain your consent.
- In each Direct Marketing communication, we will include a:
- prominent statement appearing on the relevant piece of marketing material notifying you of your right to Opt Out from further Direct Marketing; and
- simple means for you to Opt Out of receiving further Direct Marketing communications of that kind.
- Should you Opt Out, we will stop Using and/or Disclosing your Personal Information for Direct Marketing purposes.
- Total Computer Technology will not Use your Sensitive Information for Direct Marketing purposes.
- that has been Collected from you in circumstances where:
Ensuring Information is Accurate and Up-To-Date
We take reasonable precautions to ensure that the Personal Information we Collect, Use and Disclose is complete, relevant and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That’s why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your Personal Information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your Personal Information such as your name or address.
- You may change your personal details by using the relevant facility on our Website or by contacting Total Computer Technology care of the contact details described in Point 12.
How We Protect Your Information
Total Computer Technology will take reasonable steps to protect the Personal Information from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access or disclosure. This may include taking reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information once it is no longer needed for any purpose for which it may be Used or Disclosed in accordance with Australian Privacy Principal 11.2, subject to the exceptions contained therein.
Total Computer Technology will not attempt to match de-identified data Collected through surveys with information identifying an individual, without the consent of the relevant individual.
Total Computer Technology will take reasonable steps to ensure that Personal Information is only accessible by people who have a genuine “need to know” as well as “right to know.”
How You Can Access or Correct Your Information
Total Computer Technology will permit its records containing your Personal Information to be accessed by you when required by the Privacy Act. We may, however, refuse to provide you with access to your Personal Information if one or more of those matters contained in Australian Privacy Principle 12.3 – Access to Personal Information – applies, including but not limited to instances in which:
- we reasonably believe that giving you access to your Personal Information would pose a serious threat to the life or to the health and safety of any individual (including you);
- giving access to the information would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of any other individual;
- your request for access is frivolous or vexatious or giving such access will be unlawful
If Total Computer Technology is satisfied that:
- having regard to the purpose for which the information is held, the information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete or irrelevant or misleading; or
- you (as the person to whom the Personal Information relates) request that we correct the information;
- we will take reasonable steps to correct our records containing your Personal Information as soon as practically possible in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If we have refused to grant you access to your Personal Information in accordance with Point 6.1 above, we will still take all reasonable steps to provide you with access to your Personal Information in a way that meets both your needs and our needs.
- If you:
- wish to lodge a request to access and/or correct your Personal Information; or
- have been refused access to your Personal Information by us for any reason described in this Policy and you wish to challenge that refusal;you may do so by contacting Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective’s Digital Marketing Manager as per the details in in Point 12.
Total Computer Technology will not normally charge a fee for processing an access request unless the request is complex or is resource intensive. Total Computer Technology does, however, reserve the right to charge an administration fee if an individual requests access to their Personal Information more than once in a three month period.
Where Total Computer Technology offers online account management facilities, customers can use this capability to control aspects of their account, including amending or updating certain Personal Information.
Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective’s Digital Marketing Manager will be the first point of contact for inquiries about privacy issues. If you wish to make an inquiry or complaint regarding privacy you should do so by contacting this office as per the details in Point 12.
Total Computer Technology will not make it mandatory for visitors to its Website to provide Personal Information unless such Personal Information is required to answer an inquiry or provide a service. Total Computer Technology may however request visitors to provide Personal Information voluntarily to Total Computer Technology (for example, as part of a competition or questionnaire).
Total Computer Technology will allow its customers to transact with it anonymously or by using a pseudonym wherever that is reasonable and practicable.
Transferring Information Overseas
If we send Personal Information overseas, Total Computer Technology will take steps which are both reasonable and practicable to ensure that the overseas recipient handles such information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Total Computer Technology may disclose Personal Information to an overseas recipient without complying with 9.1 if:
- you are Expressly Informed of the intended disclosure of your Personal Information to the overseas recipient, and you provide consent accordingly; or
- we reasonably believe that the overseas recipient is subject to a law or a binding scheme that has the effect of protecting the information in a way that, overall, is at least substantially similar to the way in which the Privacy Act seeks to protect same and you can access mechanisms to enforce the protection of your Personal Information under that law or that scheme; or
- the Disclosure is required or authorised by an Australian court or tribunal or under Australian law.
“Collect” means gather, acquire or obtain by a lawful and fair means, information in circumstances where the individual is identifiable or identified.
“Direct Marketing” involves the Use and/ or Disclosure of Personal Information to communicate directly with an individual to promote goods or services through written, verbal or electronic means of communication. The goods or services which are marketed may be those of Total Computer Technology or a Related Body Corporate or those of an independent third party organisation.
“Disclosure” generally means the release of information outside Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective, including under a contract to carry out an “outsourced function.”
“Express Consent Consequences” includes the fact that that we will not be accountable under the Privacy Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act in the event that you provide consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information by us to an overseas recipient and the overseas recipient handles your Personal information in breach of the Privacy Act.
“Expressly Informed” means the circumstance where we have provided you with a clear statement (either verbal or in writing) of the Express Consent Consequences.
“Opt Out” means an individual’s expressed request not to receive further Direct Marketing communications.
“Personal Information” means information that is not Sensitive Information, including information or an opinion (whether information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. This includes, but is not limited to, an individual’s name, address, telephone number and email address.
“Primary Purpose” is the main reason for the Collection of any Personal Information.
“Reasonable Expectation” means a reasonable individual’s expectation that their personal information might be Used or Disclosed for the relevant purpose.
“Related Body Corporate” is given its meaning in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
“Secondary Purpose” means a purpose of Use or Disclosure other than a Primary Purpose.
“Sensitive Information” is given its meaning in section 6(1) of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
“Use” means the handling of Personal Information within Total Computer Technology trading as Business Connective.
“Website” means the website of Total Computer Technology and related webpages.
CONTACTING Total Computer Technology
C/- Digital Marketing Manager